Under the rain and snuggled above the straw hide the long awaited strawberries of summer. It is strawberry season in New England and Chef Tim Wiechmann, of T.W. Food shares a deliciously classic dish featuring the heart-shaped early summer treats.
French Crepes with Native Strawberries and Grand Marnier Whipped Cream
For 8 Portions
Special Equipment: none
2 cups flour + tsp. salt
1/2 cup melted butter + 1/2 cup butter for sauté
4 cups milk + 1/2 cup water
1 Q native strawberries sliced thin + 4T sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream + 2T sugar
1/2 cup butter for sauté
zest of 1 orange
2 T Grand Marnier
1. combine flour, salt, eggs, milk and water in mixer. Blend on high,
add melted butter and let rest 10 minutes. Allow to come to room
2. In a bowl, mix the sliced strawberries with the sugar, 1 T of Grand
Marnier and the orange zest.
3. Then whip the cream with the sugar until stiff. Stir in the other
Tablespoon of Grand Marnier.
4. Using a heavy bottom pan, melt a knob of butter on low heat. Add
about 1 – 2oz. of crepe batter and swirl the pan to fully coat its’
entirety. Increase the heat to med. high until the edges begin to
brown. At this point, flip the crepe. Let sear 30 seconds and then
remove to a plate. Cook all of the crepes and hold warm
5. To finish, re-heat each crepe in a little butter on a baking tray,
scoop in some whipped cream and some of the macerated
strawberries, fold the crepe closed in half and serve.
T.W. Food Restaurant is located at 377 Walden Street, Cambridge, 617 864-4745.